The 'Church in the Wildwood' is a song written by Dr. William S. Pitts sometime around 1857. He wrote it during a coach ride to visit his fiancée that lived in Fredericksburg, Iowa and they had to make a brief stop at Bradford. Dr. Pitts wandered around and found a particular beauty in the wooded valley that formed by the Cedar River. It was during the beautiful view he had of the spot that he had a vision of a beautiful church occupying it. So, he wrote the 'church in wildwood' for his own self. However, in 1862, after marrying the fiancée he visited years back, he moved to Fredericksburg to be near his wife’s elderly parent. But one thing that surprised him was finding a church erected exactly where he had envisioned it. Since he was a music teacher at that time, he had his student come to sing at the opening dedication of the church in 1864 and that was the first time anyone ever heard the church in the wildflower been sung publicly. Series of events occurred after this time, especially the moving of Pitts and the decline of the population of the village. This made the church close and the song all but forgotten. But in 1914, a revival happened especially with the enactment of a society to preserve the little brown church. Once again service was held and the song came back to live. Some of the recent performances of the song were by Dolly Parton, the Carter Family, and even Bill and Gloria Gaither found a way to tune the song into a beautiful one.